Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Words of Comfort

Over the past three weeks, we have received countless dozens of sympathy cards, e-mails and words of encouragement. We can't thank all of you enough. It feels like one big group hug from friends and family across the globe. The support and prayers we have received go a long way in our healing process. I would like to share with you an e-mail I received yesterday from Caitlin McLean, a bride whose wedding I had the honor of photographing this summer. She had some profound insights to share with me on how she dealt with the loss of her brother. Despite all the support we are receiving, sometimes the feeling of being alone, even in a crowded room is overwhelming. Thank you Caitlin. Your experience gives me peace of mind that Sue and I are not on this journey alone.
Dear Steve,

You photographed my June 23rd 2007 wedding at Ventosa
Vineyards. You and your assistant did an incredible job, and I often go to your
website to revisit our wedding photos and the good memories and smiles they
bring.

I visited the site for the first time in a couple of weeks and
your twins piece caught my eye. I read your blog entries about the sudden death
of your sister-in-law Sandi. It's nearing a week to the date of the sudden death
of my younger brother Alex, one year ago...its' still hard to believe.

I know that there are no words that are right...I found a hug was often most
comforting. But I do pray for strength and courage for you and your family as
you move forward...and you are, you're doing it...TOGETHER.

That's become the mantra of my family in this past year: "we're doing it." Sometimes I call my Dad just to hear this reminder. And in this year, my Dad has called me three times to say he feels "normal." None of us can describe what it means, but there are moments when it happens. I suppose we're learning to love Alex in death as we did in life.

I hope your memories bring you peace. Sandi
sounds like an incredible person, and I too believe that the bonds of family
transcend death. Please know that Sandi and your family are in my prayers.

Caitlin McLean
(Belmonte wedding)

No comments:

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust