Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Five Languages of Love

My wife is reading a book called "The Five Love Languages of Children". It's about how to communicate and interact with your children in the way that best makes them feel loved, and with that love comes positive behavior and self respect. We've been trying out different aspects of each of the languages on our kids and so far the results have been enlightening. I took Sarah shopping today for some shirts, not because she asked me to, but just because I wanted to. When it was time to get ready for bed tonight, she did so without a fuss. It may sound like bribary, but it was actually showing one of love languages that she responds to which is "quality time" with me. One of the other love languages is the giving of gifts, but she spoke more about the one-on-one time with me than about the clothes. It's so much more satisfying being friends with my kids than being a parent. I know there is a time for both, but I believewhen parents and their kids are friends, they develope a strong mutual respect for each other that lasts a lifetime.

No comments:

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust