Sunday, August 28, 2011

Beautiful Finger Lakes



As a child, I spent many summers at the Bonnie View in Bolton Landing on Lake George. It was a beautiful lakeside retreat surrounded by towering mountains. Growing up on Long Island, Lake George was as close to the wilderness as it gets.

Last week, I took my wife and kids back to Lake George for a short vacation. We didn't stay at the Bonnie View, but we did visit it bringing back a flood of memories. Where we did stay was a cute place called Capri Village. Any other time of the summer it may have been great however this week we felt like we were vacationing with the cast from Jersey Shore, complete with grotesquely tan muscle heads having a push up competition on the beach. There is nothing more relaxing than listening to a dozen or so drunk people yelling with thick Long Island accents at 3:00 a.m. every night we were there. I even thought I caught a glimpse of Snookie, or maybe it was a pit bull.

Looking out at the lake, it looked surprisingly similar to the south end Canandaigua Lake. I began to wonder why I would travel several hundred miles away to go on vacation when perfection is in my backyard. It certainly was not for my subconscious desire to be immersed in the Jersey Shore lifestyle.

The Finger Lakes are perfect with the right blend of nature, tourism and year round residents. It's home. My sister Ellen, another Long Island transplant who quickly fell in love with the area, used her web design talents to create a new website devoted to the splendor of the Finger Lakes. BeautifulFingerLakes.com is a destination for both tourists and locals alike, with a nice mixture of articles, events and attractions to satisfy every taste. Bookmark it and check back often for the latest happenings in and around the Finger Lakes.



No comments:

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust