Sunday, June 7, 2009

Love and Fear



After my wedding last night, I came home and packed my bags for my trip to Kansas with Sue. We woke up at 4:00 this morning for our flight to Kansas City. It was odd landing in Kansas City but not knowing what state I was in. Turns out, I was in Missouri. We headed south in to Kansas to our hotel, hoping to get a few extra hours of sleep before meeting up with our group from Senior Portrait Artists (SPA) for dinner. We met them at a restaurant called Pei Wei for some great Japanese food.

Before we headed for the restaurant, I checked the weather and saw that we were under a tornado watch. I love weather, especially the excitement of impending severe weather or a developing snow storm. As we were driving back to the hotel from Pei Wei, we could see lightning flickering in the distance. Upon returning to the hotel, I grabbed my computer to check the weather. The hotel has an indoor court yard surrounded on all sides by two tiers of windows. The lightning was intensifying, as was my heart rate. I love a good thunderstorm, but I would rather not be sucked up in a vortex so far from home. If I'm going to die being vaporized by a tornado, at least I want to be clinging to my own pillow. The wind began picking up outside to the point that the windows were rattling and lightning was striking in all directions now. The thunder was a muffled under the court yard canopy, but I could still feel the thunking in my chest. I'm not sure if it was the thunder or my hearts distress call anticipating my demise. I retreated to the safety of my hotel room which has no exterior windows. After several tense minutes, the storm began to subside, along with my heart rate. I survived my near death experience with a tornado, which was just another day in Kansas.




No comments:

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust