Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mission Aborted....Again



During Christmas break of 2008 we went to Virginia to spend Christmas with Sue's sister and her family. We intended to go from Virginia to Philadelphia to visit my cousins and then on to Ocean Grove to visit my sister Caren. On Christmas Day Cade started to fade and by the next day he looked like he had the plague, so we cancelled the rest of the trip and went home.
This year our plans were to go to Virginia and then to Ocean Grove. Cade felt great. It was Mother Nature who was tossing her cookies all over the northeast. The hardest hit area of the blizzard was of course Ocean Grove. We're used to a bit of snow up here in Western New York, but 30" in 15 hours will bring anyone to their knees. The storm ended Monday morning, but we didn't dare venture north in to the "combat zone" with winds still whipping up to 60 mph, blowing the snow on to the highways.
With the major roads virtually impassable, I can only imagine that it will be a week or more before the side roads are accessible. Caren sent me some photos, including some of the residents taking upon themselves to start shoveling the streets.
I have to say I'm a bit jealous. We haven't had a good snow storm in Canandaigua since March of 1999. Don't get me wrong, we get plenty of snow, but an inch a day for 90 days doesn't get the heart pumping like a kid hoping for a snow day.
Canandaigua is just too far east of Lake Erie for the heavy Lake Effect snow and the wrong angle off Lake Ontario for the heavy snows. Rochester broke a record for December snow with 46.5" for the month so far. If I had to guess I would say Canandaigua has only about 8" total for the month.
I may as well just move to Florida.








No comments:

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust