Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Doing Business the Right Way





I've been reading a lot of books this year, in fact more than I have read in my life. It's very satisfying to finish a book, especially if it's a really good one. Some of the books I have read have been on business and marketing, including The Starbucks Experience by Joseph Micelli. Since reading the book, I have been taking mental notes on what certain businesses do that either make me remember them in a negative or positive way. Most businesses just go about their daily routine without leaving much impact at all. That may be acceptable when things are going well, but in a down economy that's not the wisest decision.

There have been a few companies, or employees of those companies that have left a positive impact on me. I want to acknowledge them for their effort and influence.

1. The first goes out to the drive through guy at Tim Hortons on the north side of Canandaigua. He greets you with the enthusiasm of Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam. You can't help but smile.

2. I'm not a big fan of used car commercials, especially the ones that yell at you. I don't care how HUGE you think you are, it's a turn off. One Saturday morning, I came a cross an infomercial for Used Car King out of Cicero, NY. The guy was so calm and honest, it was refreshing. If I needed a car I would certainly give them a look.

3. Eric's Office Restaurant on the north side of Canandaigua is one of the best. Eric personally checks in on us to make sure everything is cool and the food is always perfect. The strawberry shortcake margarita dessert is the best I've ever had.



Then there is the other side consisting of companies that seemingly go out of there way to repel their potential customers. I went to a pizza place in the Adirondacks. When I walked in, all the employees were in a back room making pizza. No one was at the front counter. Half of the lights were burnt out and the stools at the counter looked like they had been eaten by rats. I was too hungry to leave, so I got someone's attention and ordered my pizza which was actually quite good. While I was eating though, four different sets of people came in to the pizza place and three out of the four left without ordering. Imagine doing business where you turned off 75% of your potential customers.

I consider my business to be successful, but I am always striving to go to the next level. I want my clients to have an experience above and beyond their expectations.

2 comments:

Joetta said...

You'd probably love Scott McKain & his book:
http://collapseofdistinction.com/

He is excellent! I was able to hear him speak at this year's NAPO conference. (National Association of Professional Organizers).

Check him out & you might want to subscribe to his monthly UCEzine

Steve Chesler said...

Joetta,
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Steve

Sign up for our eNewsletter
Email:
For Email Marketing you can trust